Question:What are healthy breakfast choices at a buffet style breakfast?
Buffets present a challenge to healthy eating because focus is usually on quantity of food, not quality of food.
However, if you look carefully, you can find a handful of nutritious choices:
- fresh fruit
- hard boiled eggs
- scrambled eggs
- Canadian bacon
- English muffins
- Whole grain cereal (such as Shredded Wheat or Cheerios) and skim milk
Try to avoid/limit
- high fat breakfast pastries (muffins, scones, cinnamon rolls, croissants)
- high fat breakfast meats such (bacon and sausage)
- corned beef hash
- home fries
Also avoid trying to eat as much as you can simply “to get your money’s worth!”
As a rule of thumb, try to select
1. Protein (e.g., eggs, yogurt, milk, a slice of lowfat cheese, Canadian bacon)
2. At least 2 fruits and/or vegetables (e.g., fresh fruit, tomato slices, small glass of OJ, small glass of tomato juice or V-8)
3. Good quality carbohydrates (e.g., oatmeal, whole grain cereal, whole wheat toast)
Add your own answer in the comments!